Saturday, May 9, 2009

Silver Peak

Chris and I climbed Silver Peak on Wednesday, a 3,050-foot climb to an 8,000-foot elevation. 4 1/2 miles each way (yup, I'm a true American now).

The six hours went pretty much like this:
  1. Up, up, up, up, up, owie, owie, owie.

  2. Standing triumphantly at the peak and marvelling at the amazingness of the world.

  3. Down, down, down, down, owie, owie, owie.


Ok, it was more than that...

Chris resting halfway up the climb under the Juniper tree


Denise resting halfway up the climb (pleased with herself... so far)


We often had to walk over broken rock (mildly disconcerting). These ones had a surprising sound underfoot:


Feels like walking on (walking on) broken dishes. (I know. I take weird videos... but doesn't it make you feel like you're really there with me?)


So there is a point where the elevation is high enough for the habitat to actually be called "Canadian". Trippy. And nice. I took in the dark brown dirt and shade and familiar conifers.


Weird to actually be behind these features I have admired from the road.


Chris at the top! (take 2 or 3? Check out her 2007 hike.
Ha! Note the identical pic! Hilarious.)



I made it! Cool as a cucumber. (Actually, it was really hard...)


Proud of myself.

Nice view of the Station. Can't you see it?

View from the top:

Yes, I am obsessed with panoramas.
What can I do? Life here is a 360-degrees affair.


Suicidal lizard.


Suicidal squirrel (and desert)


Steep descent to start the climb down. And the outhouse.


One of the 1,543 or so switchbacks


A ways to go still.

Just past here, Chris and I seemed to simultaneously speed up. The sun was getting higher and hotter and our knees were about to give way. We made it and drove home with Chris' feet out the window and me driving barefoot. We booted it and made it in time for lunch to the amazement of everyone. Tough cookies we are.

The rest of the day was spent on our porch with beer and scrabble.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo - On top of the world!

    Love your smile of success, and that squirrel has one on his face, too!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete